Monday 4 March 2013

February and Me


February has treated me well... by well, i mean everything like loads of foods, loads of workouts, loads of works, and etc... and a newborn nephew too.

I intended to write a few times and have got a few drafts on different topic on the draft but didn't manage to complete them. So today I'm gonna summarize everything in one single blog. Hope it won't turn out too wordy.

I started my first run of the year in February by completing a mere 4km on one public holiday, 1st Feb to be exact. Forced myself to wake up early and put on the running shoes. The outcome was good, automatically i feel like running more after that. 


See, it was that early in the morning and the weather was good. The next thing after this photo was posted on my FB, i got invite from a hardcore runner friend to join her to run over the weekend and I accepted. Little did I know the run was gonna be the longest run in my running history. More about that later.

Exactly the next day after my first run, i went hiking with a bunch of newbies to Broga hill. It has been planned for a while and we finally made it happen. This is my 2nd time to Broga, still didn't manage to see sunrise but it was indeed a very satisfying one. Why, becuz I almost killed myself during my 1st hike some 2 years ago. I was really unfit back then, my heart was pumping so hard that I think it's gonna jump out of my body if there's a way for it to. Not only that, I see nothing but black images of everything after just 10 minutes of going uphill. So moral of the story, if you're unfit, be frank to yourself and your friends ... and some warming up helps and go slowly. I scared the shit out of my friends' pants.. . lol.

But guess what? This time around I was the leader. Leading 3 peers namely MilaFar and hubby. Another pat on the shoulder. Determination and practices bring you further...Lol. In fact it wasn't that difficult to go uphill. Although it was steep, but the distance was short. We managed to reach the 2nd peak in 30 minutes or slightly more. The most challenging part is when we were climbing up the 1st peak on our four, strong wind blew suddenly. We have no choice but gotta stop and stand facing the opposite of the blowing direction so that the sands and dust didn't get into our eyes. That moment, one will think they were standing on a desert. The blowing sands were so obvious and i got my hair covered with sands.

We did have fun. Here are some photos :) Broga is really a good place for beginners with nice scenery too. I think these photos didn't really do the justice. It was taken with a phone for I don't usually carry camera with me. But I hope it's enough to tempt one to go and experience Broga.





Back to the earlier story, bout the friend inviting me to run my longest run. I did it the next day right after Broga hike. Tell me if you think I'm not determined enough. What more can I say, I'm so proud of myself for the 3 continuous working-out days. This 3rd day of workout was the toughest of them all. I ran  a whole 10.76km in one morning. And guess what, I made it. I'm so so proud of myself. Patting own shoulder non stop... *shy*  And then i got more determined to run but but but.... it never happened and the month ended.

Why, because then there's Chinese New Year means there were tons of eating and reunions and catching ups. So everything just stopped right after I accomplished my biggest achievement. Then guilt hits me... but nothing much I can do...lol...lame. I continue to eat and when I got back to work, my pants got slightly tight and I hate this yet my mouth continue to munch...hahaha

Then come Valentine's Day where I always have to help out during this big day for lovers. Having a florist as family business has a cons side as well. Meaning forever I won't receive flowers bouquet from my other half. He can't buy from me cos I will be wrapping my own flower bouquet. He can't buy from other florist cos I will scold him for giving business to others.

After Valentine's we all welcome a new member to our family. Little baby boy from my baby sista.. more reason to celebrate and eat right? hahaha...no, my sis was in pain after the c-sec so not much celebrating while she's in hospital tho. Here's a smiling baby photo :) to brighten up the already bright day.

3 days old and smile 
While the eating continues, I gathered my determination once again and started my favourite Jillian Michael's 30 Days Shred. This will be my 3rd rounds of 30DS and I'm loving it. Perhaps I could share out my experience of doing 30DS in a post. Not here for sure cos it's too lengthy already by now. Before the month actually ended, the last weekend on Sunday me and my hiking members went for another hiking practice, trying to conquer the peak of 1933m tall Gunung Liang but fail, and i failed miserably.

Pushing off at 5.30AM and we met at Behrang toll plaza at 6.30AM. From there we drove about 20 minutes to the base of the mountain. It was still dark and there was only us parking and getting ready to hike. Started slightly before 7am and it was pitch dark going up the road to the water damn which will be the beginning of the hike. Prior to that, we stumbled upon a python crawling by the tree. Scream and shout and fellow hiker said it was just a baby... a baby that huge, was praying won't be seeing the mommy.

Trespassing the gate of the dam, we climbed up to our trail. Prior to that, i slipped and almost end up in the waterfall... hehe. then we started our journey in dark and narrow trail. It was rather scary and even more scarier after we realized the 8 of us are the only hikers on this mountain. Moving forward, after like 30 min, crossing some water path (later realized there are actually stream connecting to the main stream of the waterfall) the attack of the leeches began. After peeling off (by the lionking) a few that trying to suck my blood we move on. It was really geli (malay for ticklish, nauseatic, scary - i think the english translation didn't carry my feeling towards leeches) to see them wiggling on our feet and pants trying to penetrate their bloody head onto our skin to enjoy the blood sucking. Even Lionking finds them very gross (born with fear for cold blooded creatures) lol... and right there we both decided we do not want to follow the rest to the peak.

one can hardly see the trail
this is how thick the jungle is

After like 2hr 30min of hike, we gather by the mini waterfall to rest and we told the rest we surrendered. We are moving down, unable to take the leeches attack and also feeling unwell due to lack of sleep for few continuous nights. This isn't lame excuse, check out the bites and you will understand. People like us who don't usually encounter leeches will not be able to take this.


These are just some bites. Too gross to snap all the pictures cos some bites just won't stop bleeding. Prior to turning back, we took a rest right on the rocks by the stream. Didn't even dare to sit down as the leeches might come attacking our butts. The water is crystal clear, the air is fresh...really tempted to continue the hike with the rest but the leeches just a big turn off. Dear God, why do you creating a creature like leech?



Nice right if we were to picnic here? Only if you think leeches are your pet kitty or puppy. Hahaha... Then we turn back and walking down happily and fast trying to avoid leeches and big spiders on the ground. Following the traces of papers left by our fellow hikers earlier, otherwise getting out is disastrous. Everything in front of your eyes look exactly the same. Almost an hour of trekking, we heard a loud roaring sound and I scream back to the sound and I was shivering after that and standing close to Lionking. We heard some foot steps moving away. Praying hard it wasn't some wild animals. Grabbing some fallen branches we quickly walk down, wanting to get out of this place ASAP. Imagine after we left, the whole place was left conquered by the remaining 6 of the fellow members.
After like 1hr 30min we finally arrived at the damn (where i first fell down) and feeling 100% relief and then I realized there's a pain on my tummy. Lifting up my shirt I saw the blood sucker biting on my tummy. Damn... why God you don't make them suck fat instead? More people will be happier to let the sucker survive sucking on them. Then we saw there are some people come to the damn and the stream down under to fish. 


After another 10mins of walk we reached our car. Thank god we didn't car pool or else we need to wait for the rest until god knows what time they will come back. 

This is the path way we walked this morning where we encountered the snake by the roadside under the tree. It was so dark we didn't know on what road we were stepping on that morning. Upon reaching the car, me trying to change the pants with towel wrapping around my waist. Can't wait to go to the nearest petrol station for I afraid there might be leeches inside the pants. Joke... Bear in mind, there's no toilet or changing area at Gunung Liang. Taking off the shoes i noticed 2 bloody suckers on my left foot and 1 on my right food. Same goes to Lionking. He has 2 sucking on his feet and all his bites won't stop bleeding. I wonder why is that so? Later that night, my leader sent me this picture of how they changed. Haha, thanks to the guys who set up the changing room. 


if I were with them, i will end up coming down at 9pm. Pitch dark with more than 20 bites from the leeches. Thinking bout that make me feel so much relief for giving up and being chicken in the first place. They arrived home at 1.30AM whereby me and Lionking left the parking at around 12pm and we drove to Bidor to have a nice lunch at this famous Pun Chun Duck noodle at Bidor. Here's our yummy meal while the rest of us still struggling going up the deadly mountain.

On the way home, I was the one driving and it was drizzling and raining occasionally. Hate to drive in the rain so I went really slow and we got home at almost 4PM, bathed and slept our ass off. Woke up later that evening with flu and fever. And that prevent me from visiting my little nephew. 

The remaining of the days in February was spent working hard at work. With flu and fever and tons of work, I didn't manage to spend time working out except a few push ups and crunches at home. That's more or less wrapping up my February and coming March gonna be the perks!

Till then...ciao... hope you didn't fall asleep reading this grandmother bedtime story of my February.
























1 comment:

  1. I was hiking up to Gunung Liang yesterday with my partner, and only 2 of us in the entire mountain!
    Exactly like what you said the leeches were horrifying they are bigger than normal leeches in other mountains that we hiked! We also encounter a loud roaring sound in ~10 ft away after 40 minutes hike. I was hysterical and shivering, my partner saw a full size wild boar but i am pretty sure the roar was from something else (tiger!). It was then we decided to turn back and never go back to that mountain.
    On our way back, i dropped 1 of my walking pole and only realised after reach home. It was an expensive pole but we would not risk ourselve to get in the jungle again.
    I was searching through the internet to find out anyone has encountered this in Liang which leads me to your blog! We are still suffering from the leeche bites itchiness and thinking of the what-if if we get attacked by the animal, no one of our family know we are going there, and we did not register to nearby police station either + we are in fact tresspass into the dam! Moral of this story was, dont attempt any jungle if you know you are the only one in the trail! Do let your friends and family know and dont undersestimate the nature!

    ReplyDelete